‘Mothers Day’ is celebrated in 46 countries on various dates while first time was in Grafton, West Virginia. It is celebrated most in March or May. ‘Mothers Day’ is also called as ‘Mothering Sunday’ in the UK and it is called as ‘Eastern Orthodox’ in Greece. The occasion reflects the influence of mothers in society, their dedication, their work, etc.
Ex-communist countries celebrate ‘International Women’s day’ instead of ‘Mothers Day’. However, some ex-communist countries like Russia follow this tradition or celebrate both ‘International Women’s day’ and ‘Mothers Day’ which is the tradition of Ukraine. Kyrgyzstan recently declared ‘mothers Day’ in their country. But, year-by- year, ‘International Women’s day’ is increasing in status.
When Is Mothers Day 2017 Country Wise Date:
Bolivia’s Mother’s Day is on the day on which the women participated in the battle. Whereas in some countries, ‘Mother’s Day’ is on a religious basis like in Nepal, Hindu population is more. The holiday is on new moon day in the month of Baisakh (April/May). In Arab countries, ‘Mother’s Day’ is celebrated mostly on 21st March and is introduced first in Egypt by journalist Mustafa Amin in 1956.
Following chart shows the various dates for various countries for celebrating ‘Mothers Day’:
|12 Feb 2017||Norway|
|3 Mar 2017||Georgia|
|8 Mar 2017||Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Laos, Montenegro, Serbia, Ukraine|
|26 Mar 2017||UK, Ireland, Nigeria, Bangladesh (This is the 4th Sunday of Lent)|
|21 Mar 2017||Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Palestinian Territories, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen|
|25 Mar 2017||Slovenia|
|7 Apr 2017||Armenia|
|7 May 2017||Hungary, Lithuania, Portugal, Spain, Mozambique|
|8 May 2017||South Korea (Parent’s Day)|
|8 May 2017||Anguilla, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Curaasao, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Honduras, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Suriname, Switzerland, Taiwan, The Netherlands, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Zimbabwe|
|14 May 2017||Paraguay|
|26 May 2017||Poland|
|28 May 2017||Algeria, Dominican Republic, France, Haiti, Mauritius, Morocco, Sweden, Tunisia|
|30 May 2017||Nicaragua|
|1 Jun 2017||Mongolia|
|11 Jun 2017||Luxembourg|
|3 Jul 2017||South Sudan|
|12 Aug 2017||Thailand|
|15 Aug 2017||Costa Rica, Antwerp|
|9 Oct 2017||Malawi|
|15 Oct 2017||Argentina|
|3 Nov 2017||Timor-Leste|
|26 Nov 2017||Russia|
|8 Dec 2017||Panama|
|22 Dec 2017||Indonesia|
History Of Mothers Day – Why Mother’s Day Is Celebrated? :
The early Beginning was in ancient Greece in honor of Rhea, the mother of the gods. People bring honey-cakes, fine drinks, and flowers at the temple to please the Goddess.
The modern ‘Mother’s Day’ is recognized by women’s social action. The first ‘Mother’s Day’ was celebrated in 1908 in church and was organized by Anna Jarvis in Grafton, West Virginia who was the native of West Virginia in memory her own mother who died 3 years earlier. She campaigned successfully to have the day adopted nationally.
Then, it is started to be accepted by other countries year-by-year on different days for various reasons i.e. religious reasons, historical reasons, etc. like in Norway, it is celebrated on 12 Feb 2017 whereas in Georgia, it is celebrated on 3 Mar 2017 and so on.
15 Best Ways To Celebrated Mothers Day With Your Mom:
Some of the best ways to celebrate Mothers Day and making it special are as follows:
- Buy or make a card or write a letter: Purchase card or make it and write a meaningful message or write a letter containing family memories, good times, happy times, etc. and decorate it.
- Buy or make gifts: Purchase gifts or make it off her choice making her happy like something containing flowers and art.
- Give her rest: Do all housework and give her complete rest and relaxation and make her happy.
- Make sweet: Make special food for her liking her, some sweet.
- Go to a movie: Go to a movie with the family, go to a restaurant, go shopping, go to her favorite places, etc.
- Go to picnic: Arrange family picnic and go to a picnic with her to her favorite picnic spot or to a new spot.
- Donate money, clothes, etc: Donate needy mothers/children. It will surely make her happy.
- Family together: Gather all family members all grandparents, uncles, aunts and make food, make fun and make the day memorable.
- Planting a Tree: Pick your mom’s favorite tree. Plant the tree in a visible place in your yard with your mom. Visit the tree each mother’s day together with your mom.
- Make Poem: Write a poem and sing before your Mom. If you can’t write a poem, then, pick any poem of any poet and sing it before her. She will definitely be pleased.
- Make contact: The most important thing on Mother’s Day is to let your mother know that how much you love her and caring about her and appreciate her. If your away from your mom personally, then, make a call.
- Arrange surprise party: Arrange surprise party for her. Make the party special by singing a song for her, doing any drama dedicating to her, etc.
- Invite her friends: Invite your mom’s close friends, make food for them, arrange the small party for them, etc.
- Present her favorite DVD or music collection: Play songs or music of her choice, of her generation.
- Decorate her room secretly: Decorate her room secretly with balloons, cards, flowers, paintings, etc. and make her please.